PSYC 3406 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Major Depressive Episode, Aaron T. Beck, Dysthymia

27 views8 pages

Document Summary

2 main theories: aaron beck- negative thinking . 4 interrelated cognitive components contributing to depression: maladaptive attitude. Develop during childhood due to one"s experiences, family relationships & judgement from others: ex if i don"t do well, i won"t be loved . Inaccurate, but set the stage for additional thoughts (magni cation of the importance of such events) Takes three forms the cognitive triad : negative view of oneself-negative views of the world-negative views of the future all lead to depression. Depressed people make errors in their thinking: arbitrary inferences. Fundamental errors in logic-jumping to negative conclusions based on little evidence: minimization. I only did well because the test was easy : magni cation. If i miss one class, i will never be able to get caught up . Depressed people have automatic though: a steady stream of unpleasant thoughts that happen as if by re ex, and which suggest inadequacy and hopelessness.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers