BIOL-AD 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Lactic Acid, Citric Acid Cycle, Cellular Respiration

76 views3 pages
30 Aug 2016
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Pyruvic acid that accumulates as a result of glycolysis can be converted to lactic acid a. i. a. a. Because this type of formation produces lactic acid, it is called lactic acid fermentation a. i. b. This process regenerates nad+ so that glycolysis can continue a. i. c. Pyruvic acid + nadh lactic acid + nad+ a. i. d. Lactic acid is produced in muscles during rapid exercise when the body cannot supply enough oxygen to the tissues a. i. d. a. Body needs oxygen to produce atp a. i. e. atp is produced rapidly by the muscles by lactic fermentation. Krebs cycle and electron transport: the pathways of cellular respiration require oxygen so they are aerobic, the krebs cycle b. i. In the presence of oxygen, pyruvic acid produced in glycolysis passes to the second stage of cellular respiration, the krebs cycle b. ii. During the krebs cycle, pyruvic acid is broken down into carbon dioxide in a series of energy-extracting reactions b. ii. a. Because citric acid is the first compound produced by the.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers