CHEM-UA 109 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Polymerase Chain Reaction, Electrophoresis, Plasmid

20 views2 pages

Document Summary

Ruler: gel electrophoresis, how to separate dna according to length, pachinko 1 ball will go faster to the cup- a long chain of. Pachinko balls will take longer: + and charges on either side of gel dna has negative charge so it will be pulled towards positive end c. i. Once primer is in place, taq polymerase attaches itself to it. b. i. Sometimes, it"ll put a weird a , t , etc. in that will stop the sequence weird fragments that have different colors b. i. Computer can read colors and read sequence of dna. Mechanisms that increase genetic variation: limiting factors inbreeding a. i. e. charles ii of habsburgs habsburg chin, couldn"t chew, prokaryotes, horizontal gene transfer a. i. Transfer of genetic material between organisms that are around during same evolutionary time period a. ii. When you rupture cell wall, other bacteria can pick up dna a. iii. When virus escapes, carries some viral material into other bacteria a. iv.