CHEM-UA 109 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Surface Tension, Xylem, Electronegativity

9 views4 pages

Document Summary

Chromosome from mom and dad wrap around each other and swap genetic material a. i. 1. Flip of coin random assortment determines what happens to offspring b. i. 1. Up to chance if you get an allele b. ii. This is because of millions of number of sperm and eggs. As size of tube decreases (i. e. microscopic xylem), water goes up the tube: high specific heat, hard to change temperature because you need to break hydrogen bonds. Ice floats: water becomes less dense as it freezes b/c of matrix formed from hydrogen bonds, good solvent, charge of cl will be surrounded by + charges of hydrogen (same with na, like dissolves like b. i. Nonpolar molecules like fat do not. Transport across membranes: passive, diffusion requires no energy, molecules disperse by following their gradient (i. e. alveoli in lungs oxygen flows into capillary beds and co2 is taken into alveolar sacs) a. i. Osmosis diffusion of water across a semi-permeable membrane a. i. 1.