CHEM-UA 109 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Blood Sugar, Surface 3, Alpha Cell

21 views3 pages

Document Summary

Positive and negative feedback loops: homeostasis an internal stable environment, feedback a. i. Temperature regulation (98. 6 degrees) sensed in the hypothalamus a. i. 1. When you get too hot you sweat. As water molecules evaporate, it creates evaporative cooling a. i. 2. Vasodilation lose more heat (convection) to environment as blood rises to surface a. i. 3. a. i. 4. Fur would lay flat as well to lose more heat. Vasoconstriction shut off capillary shuts and keep blood towards inside of body a. i. 4. a. i. Warm up until target set point is reached: positive, amplification a. i. Fruit ripening communication with ethylene that causes surrounding apples to ripen a. i. 1. Suddenly all fruit on trees are ripe at the same time a. ii. Child birth pressure on head of cervix causes more contractions until baby is born: alterations, diabetes mellitus a. i. Beta and alpha cell senses blood glucose levels a. i. 2. If you have a lot of blood glucose outside of cell, beta cells pick this up and insulin is released a. ii.