CHEM-UA 109 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Electron Transport Chain, Cellular Respiration, Pyruvic Acid

16 views3 pages

Document Summary

Cellular respiration: taking food and breaking it down in presence of oxygen (aerobic, heterotrophs taking organic compounds and converting it to co2 and h20 (autotrophs convert this back into energy, cellular respiration a. i. Glucose + o2 (cid:0) co2 + h20 + atp a. i. 1. a. i. 2. Huge amount of energy found in pull of electrons to oxygen a. ii. Cristae (folds) two membranes (inner and outer) with inner membrane space in middle: 3 steps, glycolysis: a. i. Break glucose down into 2 pyruvates (3c) a. iii. Pyruvate diffuses into mitochondria to acetyl coa: krebs cycle: b. i. Acetyl coa (2c) giving off 2 carbons (co2) b. iii. Make: 2 atp, adding energy to nadh and fadh b. iii. 1. Nadh/fadh carry high energy electrons: electron transport chain: c. i. Moving through series of proteins that pump protons into inner membrane space c. ii. Electron will be added to other protons and oxygen to create water c. iii.