English
Course
ENGLISH 4522
Professor
Sarah Neville
Semester
Spring

Description
Book II, canto vii Notes written by: Caitlin Stange Notes edited by: Summary (100-150 words max): Guyon, being separated from his Palmer, finds his way into a “gloomy glade” (II.vii.3), where he meets Mammon. Mammon invites Guyon into his underground lair. Mammon quickly proceeds to tempt Guyon (in a long seduction scene 40 stanzas long) over the course of three days. First, Mammon offers immense wealth; second, he offers marriage to his daughter, Philotime; and third, enticement with golden apples from the beautiful garden of Proserpina. Guyon declines all of Mammon’s offers, first stating “All that I need I have” (II.vii.39), then claiming he is already betrothed, and finally refusing to eat the golden apple. Having failed in his plot, Mammon returns Guyon to the surface. Without food, water, or rest for three days, the fresh air causes Guyon to faint. New characters introduced: • Mammon (Richesse), an “vncouth, saluage, and unciuile wight” (II.vii.3.4) who wears a rusty iron coat under an embroidered golden jacket. • Philotime, Mammon’s daughter, who rewards her followers with “Honour and dignitie” (II.vii.48.7) and sits on her throne in Hell in “glistring gl
More Less

Related notes for ENGLISH 4522

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit