BIOS 3210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: 16S Ribosomal Rna, Bacterial Cell Structure, Last Universal Common Ancestor

32 views18 pages

Document Summary

Microbiology: the study of organic life on the micron scale. Members of the microbial world: organisms and acellular entities too small to be clearly seen by the unaided eye; some <1um, some macroscopic; relatively simple in their construction; lack highly differentiated cells and distinct tissues. Chapter 1: the evolution of microorganisms and microbiology: types of microbial cells a. i. Prokaryotic cells lack a true membrane-delimited nucleus a. i. 1. Eukaryotic cells have a membrane enclosed nucleus, are more complex morphologically, and are usually larger than prokaryotic cells: classification schemes b. i. Three domain system, based on a comparison of ribosomal rna genes, divides microorganisms into b. i. 1. b. i. 2. b. i. 3: domain bacteria. Ubiquitous and some live in extreme environments c. v. cyanobacteria produce significant amounts of oxygen: domain archaea d. i. Distinguished from bacteria by unique rrna gene sequences d. ii. Many live in extreme environments: domain eukarya: eukaryotic e. i. Protists: generally larger than bacteria and archaea e. i. 1. e. i. 2. e. i. 3. e. i. 4.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers