BIOS 3210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Mreb, Actomyosin Ring, Intermediate Filament

34 views7 pages

Document Summary

Bacterial cytoskeleton components: ftsz (tubulin homologue) a. i. Forms ring during septum formation in cell division: mreb (actin homologue) b. i. Maintains shape by positioning peptidoglycan synthesis machinery: cres (intermediate filament homologue) c. i. Asexual and sexual: bacteria and archaea b. i. All must replicate and segregate the genome prior to division. Binary fission: young cell at early phase of cycle, parent cell prepares for division, septum forms, 2 cells split. A partition that forms during cell division to divide two daughter cells: exponential growth b. i. When a growing bacterial population is doubling at regular intervals b. i. 1. The time it takes for a microbial population to double in number. Bacterial cell cycle: cell cycle is sequence of events from formation of new cell through the next cell division, two pathways function during cycle b. i. Chromosome partitioning: probably varies with bacterial species, replisome pushes chromosomes to opposite ends, condensation of chromosomes to opposite ends, mreb d. i. Plays role in determination of cell shape d. iii. d. iv.