HIST 1103 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Phillis Wheatley, Republican Motherhood, Party System

32 views6 pages
24 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

It is the economical center: allowed redcoats to be quartered in colonists" homes. Daughters of liberty: esther de berdt. Groups of women sew uniforms for continental army: leaders of economic boycotts. Patrick henry: give me liberty, or give me death , 1775, i am not a virginian, but an american. No representation: there is something absurd in supposing a continent to be perpetually governed by an island. Shot heard round the world: started things into motion, can"t go back. Ben franklin: representative of americas shift from english to individual, he cared the most about being english. Battle of saratoga: brings france onto the side of the colonists, oct 17, 1777. Oct 19, 1781: cornwallis surrenders at yorktown, essentially the end of fighting between england and the colonists. Over half of the signitories of the declaration of independence were college educated: only 1% of americans had that, wealthy, put their necks on the line.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers