PSY 370 Lecture 2: Week 2 Notes (WED)

28 views7 pages

Document Summary

Trait theory: hierarchy of behavior organization, specific acts or cognitions: specific to a situation, may not be indicative of normal characteristic behaviors i. Sometimes may be outlier: habitual acts or cognitions: recurring acts under similar conditions, traits: semi-permanent dispositions, types or superfactors: interrelated traits. People can be interrelated traits i: how many traits are there? a. Galton explored roget"s thesaurus and found over a thousand core words expressive of character. : allport counted 18,000, two conceptualizations of traits a. Internal mechanisms: the outward expression of a person"s needs the trait follows from situation to situation, the cause follows. I. e. , the person has a need to control in every situation: purely descriptive - no causation. Eysenck: three factors i. ii: mccrae and costa: five factors iv. Jung-myers briggs type indicator: cattell"s trait theory, method i. ii. Divided traits into common and unique traits factor analysis: associated and correlated descriptors that belonged together into one trait iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers