BIOL 141 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Sliding Filament Theory, Neuromuscular Junction, Endoplasmic Reticulum

23 views5 pages
14 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Functions of muscles: movement, heat production, support - posture, support/protection internal organs e. Control exit/entry points into the body: body language/facial expressions, help store nutrients g. i. Respond to chemicals released from motor neurons: conductivity b. i. Ability to propagate electrical signals over membrane: contractility c. i. Ability to shorten and generate force: elasticity d. i. Ability to return to original shape after being stretched: extensibility e. i. Ability to be stretched without damaging the tissue. Attached to bone, skin, or fascia (connective tissue: cardiac. Combining nervous and muscle systems: efferent nerves communicate with periphery, somatic motor nerves communicate with muscles (voluntary, visceral motor nerves communicate with organs (involuntary) Nervous and skeletal muscle systems: nerves consist of many axons b, neurons and muscle cells communicate at the neuromuscular junction. Electrical signal from the neuron is converted into a chemical message c. iii. Muscle cell converts it back to an electrical signal c. iv. Electrical signal (muscle action potential) causes sarcomere proteins to interact c. v. contraction c. vi.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers