Homework 4

1 Page

Department
Computer Science
Course Code
CMPSC 448
Professor
Daniel Kifer

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
CMPSC 448: Machine Learning and AI: HW 4 (Due March 25)
Name:
1. Instructions
Upload to ANGEL one zipped file (to avoid an ANGEL bug) containing:
Your version of hw4stub.py
You cannot look at anyone else’s code.
All code in hw4stub.py should be inside functions (importing hw3stub.py should not cause code to
execute).
To check your code, type “python hw4tester.py” at a command prompt. Your code will be graded
based on correctness on different inputs (using Python version 2.x).
2. Gradient Descent
In the following questions, we use the following notation. ~w = (w1, w2, . . . , wk) is the weight vector
with dimension k. The data is {(~x1, t1),...,(~xn, tn)}and has nrecords. Each ~xjis a feature vector whose
components are represented as ~xj= (xj1, xj2, . . . , xjk ).
We will be using the linear regression model whose prediction for a feature vector ~xjis ~w ·~xj=
k
P
i=1
wixji.
Question 1. If tjis the target and ~w ·~xjis the prediction, we can measure the discrepancy using one-half
squared error: f(tj, ~w ·~xj) = 1
2(tj~w ·~xj)2. The average error over the training set is then:
2n
n
X
j=1
(tj~w ·~xj)2=1
2n
n
X
j=1 tj
k
X
i=1
wixji!2
=1
2n
n
X
j=1
(tjw1xj1w2xj2 · · · wkxjk)2
In hw4stub.py, fill in the function lsq gradient(t,data,w), which will return the gradient as a
numpy array with shape (k, )(e.g., numpy.array([1,2,3])). The parameter tis the numpy array
(with shape (n, )) of target values, so t[j] is the target for the jth record. The parameter data is
a numpy array with shape (n, k)where each row corresponds to a feature vector (row jis ~xj). The
parameter wis a numpy array with shape (k, )and corresponds to the current value of the model
parameters at which we want the gradient.
In hw4stub.py, fill in the function gradient descent lsq(t,data,w,eta) where the parameter eta
is a scalar (the learning rate). This function takes in wand performs 1 iteration of gradient descent
with learning rate η. The output is the new weight vector.
Question 2. We will now change the error function to be
φ(tj, ~w ·~xj) = (21
2(tj~w ·~xj)2if tj~w ·~xj0
2(tj~w ·~xj)2if tj~w ·~xj<0
The average error over the training set is then:
n
n
X
j=1
φ(tj, ~w ·~xj)
In hw4stub.py, fill in the function phi gradient(t,data,w) to return the gradient.
In hw4stub.py, fill in the function gradient descent phi(t,data,w,eta) to return the weight vector
after one iteration of gradient descent.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CMPSC 448: Machine Learning and AI: HW 4 (Due March 25) Name: 1. Instructions ▯ Upload to ANGEL one zipped ▯le (to avoid an ANGEL bug) containing: { Your version of hw4stub.py ▯ You cannot look at anyone else’s code. ▯ All code in hw4stub.py should be inside functions (importing hw3stub.py should not cause code to execute). ▯ To check your code, type \python hw4tester.py" at a command prompt. Your code will be graded based on correctness on di▯erent inputs (using Python version 2.x). 2. Gradient Descent In the following questions, we use the following notation. ~ = (w ;1 ;:2:;w ) ks the weight vector with dimension k. The data is f(x 1t1);:::;(xn;tn)g and has n records. Each ~xjis a feature vector whose components are represented as x j (x ;j1;:j2;x ). jk Pk We will be using the linear regression model whose prediction for a feature vecxjis ~ ▯xj= w i ji i=1 Question 1. If t js the target and w~ ▯xjis the prediction, we can measure the discrepancy using one-half 1 2 squared error: f(j ;~ ▯xj) = 2(tj▯ w~ ▯xj) . The average error over the training set is then: ! 2 Xn Xn Xk Xn 1 2 1 1 2 2n (j ▯ ~ ▯xj) = 2n tj▯ wixji = 2n (j ▯ w1x j1▯ w 2 j2▯ ▯▯▯ ▯ wkx jk j=1
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit