DEFINITION: NATIONALISM = IDEA THAT:
• Nation-states are the essential building blocks of the international order
Nation deserves the higher amount of loyalty, ideal of nationalism:
"French should live in France under French gov't"
Volk-nations grow, die, fingerprints behind
• People derive their identity from their nation and owe it their primary loyalty
• National (ethnic) identity and the borders of states should be congruent
• Every people has a distinct “national spirit” (Johann Gottfried Herder: 1744-1833)
• Difficult to define precisely what a nation is and who forms one
• 19 c. definition = Shared language, customs, religion, history, destiny, etc.
• Current definition = IF YOU THINK YOU ARE A NATION, THEN YOU ARE
HOW DID NATIONALISM SPREAD?
• Contact with different societies: DEFINING THE “OTHER”
• Consolidation of royal power: DEFINING EUROPEAN KINGDOMS
• Advent of mass publishing and modern education: DISSEMINATION OF IDEAS
• War, conquest and empire: DEFINING COLONIZED VS. COLONIZER
1.) 100 Years’ War (1337-1453): Consolidation of France
2.) Napoleonic Wars (1800-1815): Johann Fichte, Vittorio Alfieri
3.) 19 century European Empires