History
Course
HIST 020
Professor
D R.D O U G L A S M I C H A E L C H A R L E S
Semester
Fall

Description
History 20 Dr. Charles Date: / / . America Before and After Columbus I. First migrations to America A. The first Native Americans crossed the land bridge B. Asia C. Europe II. Native American Civilization A. South & Central America 1. Inca 2. Maya Large Native Groups 3. Aztec B. North America 1. Smaller tribes III. Coming of Europeans th A. Leif Erikson (11 century) 1. 500-1500 2. No one knows what the Vikings found B. Changes in Europe (end of 1400’s 1. Dark ages end in 1500’s and renaissance (meaning rebirth) begins 2. Population is on the rise at the end of the 1400’s i. Bubonic plague killed about ½ of the population at the end of the dark ages (plague is now done) ii. Economy develops population begins to grow iii. As a result, a merchant class arises iv. Europeans began to want foreign goods so they invented ships and established trade routes 3. Assertive European governments i. Begins to move away from small village strongholds and towards big central governments ~ 1 ~ History 20 Dr. Charles Date: / / . ii. Early 1400’s- Marco Polo becomes the first European to travel the entire route to China a. Saw Asians for the first time b. Learned about their goods (i.e. silk, spaghetti, dyes, cloth, spices, etc.) c. Documented what he saw and told others when he returned 1. Due to this, people used ships and started the era of exploration iii. Portuguese a. Prince Henry the Navigator 1. Sailing school b. Bartholomew Dias 1. Sailed all the way to the southern tip of Africa c. Vasco de Gama 1. Sailed all the way to India d. Then comes Columbus (Cristoforo Colombo) IV. Christopher Columbus & the “Discovery” of America A. Columbus background 1. From Genoa (Italian) 2. He was an excellent sailor who worked for the Portuguese 3. Two assumptions i. World is round ii. World is small enough to travel all the way around 4. He believed he could go west to get to the east B. Spain: Ferdinand & Isabella 1. Decide to fund Columbus’s adventure C. The New World ~ 2 ~ History 20 Dr. Charles Date: / / . 1. Columbus ends up in Hispaniola (modern day Haiti and the Dominican Republic) 2. Called the Native Americans “Los Indios” because
More Less

Related notes for HIST 020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit