PSYCH 238 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Cognitive Dissonance, Reaction Formation, Implicit Memory

30 views5 pages
28 Mar 2017
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Cope with realistic, neurotic, and moral anxiety operate pre unconsciously. What i want (id) vs what i should do (superego) Immature defenses defend against boundary b/w self and outer world. Lack of reality principle (waiting to be gratified) defenses can describe personality. -dysfunctional family setting: autistic fantasy- less ability to have orgasm, less interested in sex + day dreaming instead of focusing on goals. Unwillingness to accept an event that disturbs the ego. In cancer patients, positively predicts resurgence and death. Regulating emotion using tendency to see the worst in others. More depression in partner when partner has low self-esteem. Regulating emotion using failure to see others as good and bad at the same time. Acknowledge emotion, then punish someone to express it. -higher in perceived persecution + look for evidence to support this delusion. -(cid:272)ari(cid:374)g a(cid:271)out others(cid:859) i(cid:373)ages a(cid:374)d per(cid:272)eptio(cid:374)s of the relatio(cid:374)ship. Transfer emotion (anger, frustration) to a safer, more acceptable, or more controllable object.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers