Class 8 – 02:09:12.doc

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Pennsylvania State University
Nicholas Pearson

Class 8 – 02/09/12 Chapter 5 – Self-Understanding What is the self? – I am a Christian – I am a guitarist – I am a juggler – I am a ukulele player – I am intelligent – I am a pilot Reflection of the self-concept – Cognitive representation of the self Cultural Differences East / West differences – West = US, Canada, Europe – East =Africa, asia, south america – West – independent view of self: define self in terms of ones own thoughts, feelings and actions – East – Interdependent view of self: define self in terms of one's relationships with other people and their thoughts, feelings, actions The self is not a bowling ball - EE Jones System of self-schemas (models of who we are) – One particular way of looking at the self-concept – Within a particular schema – a dimension on which one rates oneself will be - – High on the dimension – Definitely not the opposite – Important and without contradiction – For example – Adventurous: “I'm very adventurous, I'm definitely not withdrawn, and being adventurous is an important part of who I am.” Actor / Observer Difference – Other people's behavior is caused by traits – Our own behavior is caused by the situation – The self is much more complex than other people (you know yourself well) – We are more aware of our own complex personality traits than others' personality traits – Our personality traits are viewed as more varied across situation – No one will understand my thoughts and feelings the same as they understand their own – We see a variety of self schemas depending on the situation The Coherent Self – Accessibility - working self-concept – Situational attributions - Blame the situation for inconsistent behavior In sooth, I know not why I am sad, But how I caught it, found it, or came by it, What stuff 'tis made of whereof it is born, I am to learn. - Shakespeare Understanding the Self – We understand ourselves in a social context – We use other people to learn about ourselves (tell people something and see if they listen) How do people name their babies? – Parents often strive for originality and uniqueness – Girls: Briana and Madison – Boys: Joshua and Zachary – Original names become faddish Introspection – Nisbett and Wilson (1977) study – How accurately can people report the causes of their feelings, judgements and behaviors? – How do they make such causal judgement? Wilson, Laser and Stone (1982) – Students rated their daily mood each day for 5 weeks – Also rated several predictor variables that might correlate with their mood: – Day of week – amount of sleep the night before – how relationships were going – End of study the rated how much each predictor variable was related to their mood on a scale of -3 to +3 – Result 1 – People
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 414

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.