Underwood reading: Eye rolls of contempt
Where does gender come from?
– Parents, teachers
– Natural selection
– Prettier, more athletic, better appearance people get paid more, are more successful, etc
– David Buss
– Culture can reduce the differences between gender, or increase the differences
– During WWII women were pressured to take the mens jobs since the men were off at war
What are the gender expectations of our culture?
– Instrumental: the one who does stuff / gets things accomplished
– Instrumental leader: the person who makes sure everything is in order and completed on time
– Expressive leader: the person who manages the feelings of the group / helps them work together
– Logical, emotionless, poor communicator, insensitive, hiding tender emotions, detached from
feelings and mentally strong