COMMRC 0300 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Bichon, Connotation, Denotation

37 views2 pages

Document Summary

Language means by which we define ourselves, others, and all phenomena in our world through written or spoken symbols. 4 qualities of language: arbitrary the word is not the thing . We learn best from the virtue of our extensional world but we learn more from the verbal world: ambiguous meanings are culture specific, not universal, abstract potential for confusion as we move further from thing itself. Creature: rule governed, pattern rules govern creation of words (i before e, no ff starts, syntactic rules ways elements are arranged (the, john, car, hit, semantic rules ways members of culture respond to symbols. Connotation influenced by personal experience and attitudes. Defines phenomena (totalizing: totalizing -> extreme of defining; when you think that you know everything just by the definition [ex. I know the definition of communication so i know everything about communication] Organizes experiences: ex. extreme of this is stereotyping [categorizing/organizing of people] Allows hypothetical thought: plan, dream, remember, ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers