WWS 350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Wildlife Trade, Ivory Trade, Guesstimate

23 views4 pages

Document Summary

Comparable to weapons and drug trafficking in value. Virtually all countries complicit (suppliers or receivers) 1000s of species involved (e. g. , of the world"s bird species) All types of species, all realms (terrestrial, freshwater) All income groups (but especially the wealthy. Under-regulated, under-enforced, and accompanied by major scientific unknowns. Not a high-priority concern for most people. Understand the magnitude and importance of illegal wildlife trade. Be able to discuss the structure, strengths, and weaknesses of cites. Be able to articulate the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to combatting wildlife trade (especially ivory) Wealthier people in cities want wild animal meat. Cites is the primary policing force on this. The import of species on appendix i needs a permit. The export of species on appendix i needs a permit. Selling for profit is not covered under appendix i (?) The house wren is a very common bird. But the subspecies on st. lucia island is very rare.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers