01:119:115 Lecture 7: Lecture 7 - Plant Diversity I

43 views8 pages

Document Summary

Closed relatives of land: characteristics of charophytes that enabled movement to land. a. i. Edges of ponds + lakes subject to occasional dying. Nat. sel. favors survival for periods w/o being submerged a. ii. Similar adaptation found in plant spores wall: land plants shared traits w/ only charophytes b. i. Rings synthesize cellulose microfibrils of cell walls b. ii. Group of microtubules + forms btw nuclei during cell division. Cell plate: forms in middle of phragmoplast gives rise to new cross walls that separate daughter cells: derived traits of plants. 5 key traits appear in nearly all land plants but are absent in the charophytes c. i. 1. c. i. 2. c. i. 3. c. i. 4. c. i. 5. The diploid embryo is retained within the issue of the female gametophyte. c. iii. 2. Nutrients are transferred from parentto embryo through placental transfer cells. c. iii. 3. Land plants are called embryophytes because of the dependency of the embryo on the parent. c. iv. Sporangia = multicellular organs in sporophytes = produce spores c. iv. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers