PHIL 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Ernest Sosa, Reliabilism, Intellectual Virtue

100 views6 pages
10 Feb 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

In this paper, i will be covering the concept of virtue reliabilism brought about by. Sosa defines virtue reliabilism as the view that a belief is epistemically justified if and only if it is produced or sustained by a cognitive process that reliably yields truth and avoids error, (knowledge and intellectual virtue, 239). While some people may argue either that this is incorrect or that it is irrelevant, in this paper, i will argue that this not only correct but also a groundbreaking idea. By doing this, my hope is that other may grow to also believe in virtue reliabilism and see how apparent it is in the world every day. In more simple terms, virtue reliabilism is the theory that if a process produces reliable information, it is a reliable process, and since it is a reliable process, information it produces is reliable. This stands true for cognitive processes other than the ones that immediately come to mind.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers