ENS 332 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Diabetes Mellitus Type 1, Potassium Channel, Alpha Cell

26 views10 pages

Document Summary

Us prevalence: ~1 in 300, this explains about 5% of all diabetic cases. 95% of these cases are type ii diabetics: lifetime incidence of type i diabetes is unknown, vitamin d early hypothesis driver of type i diabetes. Strong associations with european descent and affluence. Darker colors have a higher prevalence for diabetes. Higher number cases at northern latitudes due to low light exposure (i. e. canada) Not relevant today due to equatorial regions now increasing (africa, india, etc. : diabetes in young people is increasing heterogeneous. Comparisons between geographical regions should be undertaken with great. Type i pathophysiology: islets of langerhans caution. Langerhans described the clear cells dotted throughout the pancreas in 1869. Immunofluorescence shows islet in red stain, proximal to blood vessels: nuclei stained in blue. Both exocrine and endocrine organ: exocrine secretes within the digestive tract, endocrine secretes insulin from beta cells and acting on other tissues.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers