HIST 106 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Petrograd Soviet, Totalitarianism, Ideocracy

31 views3 pages

Document Summary

Background: by 1917, most russians disillusioned with czar nicholas ii, weak economy and ruler: nicholas repeatedly dissolved the duma, the. Russian parliament: russia"s i(cid:374)volve(cid:373)e(cid:374)t i(cid:374) wwi (1914-18) not a match for industrialized. Germany, high casualties: in march 1917, open revolt led to abdication of nicholas ii (1868-1918, provisional government overthrown by the more radical bolsheviks, led by vladimir lenin (1870) Russia"s u(cid:374)i(cid:395)ue(cid:374)ess: russia between europe and asia, is russia part of europe, westernizers and slavophiles, russia sensed crisis of western civilization more keenly than west. The october revolution: bolsheviks gained majority in the petrograd soviet and the moscow. Soviet: le(cid:374)i(cid:374)"s i(cid:374)siste(cid:374)(cid:272)e o(cid:374) seizu(cid:396)e of power, revolution cannot wait: now or never, based on two assumptions (incorrect, revolution supported by majority, revolution prelude to a world revolution. The civil war: 1918-1921: 18 million died, bolsheviks betrayed all the promises (bread, peace, land, forced requisition of grain-famine. Lenin as the founder of modern totalitarianism: ideocracy ideological state.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers