Class Notes (994,932)
US (387,685)
SDSU (2,215)
OCEAN (21)
OCEAN 320 (19)
K.Robinson (19)
Lecture 2

OCEAN 320 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Pacific Decadal Oscillation, Earth Science, Ocean Current
Premium

4 Pages
Summer 2018

Department
Oceanography
Course Code
OCEAN 320
Professor
K.Robinson
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Unit 2: Discovery of the Oceans, Satellites, Sea Floor
Video: William Anders
Apollo astronaut; first man to orbit the moon
Dec 21 1968: Saturn 5 rocket lifts off; meant to go around the moon
o Anders snapped dramatic photo of earth rising around the moon
Became CEO of general dynamics
Hurricane Camille
First major storm to be viewed and tracked by satellite (1969 Nimbus-3)
o Winds over 200mph and 259 people killed
Ravaged the gulf states; surges up to 28ft
The Mission to Planet Earth
multispectral space imagery: can be processed to reveal patterns, rocks types, alteration
zones, and valuable minerals
o rocks absorb or radiate energy variably across the electromagnetic spectrum;
human eyes incapable of seeing without technology
Satellite data allows us to map the planet
o “Mission to Planet Earth” funded by NASA in the 1970’s, based on missions in
the 1960’s
o Different rocks/deposits come up as different colors on these satellite maps;
amounts, weathering, etc all play a part in how the map looks; allows scientists to
track all earths changes
o We can only see these multi-spectral images because colors have been assigned
by the technician/creative genius after digital tweeking
o Birds, however, can see ultraviolet light; what is the advantage? Why?
Maps are data: sometimes multilayered, each data point is information
o GIS (Geographic Information Systems): shows the possibilities of merging data
(in real time) with maps in a graphic display that is easier to understand and
analyze
o Google Earth comes out, even more useful and accessible
TOPEX/Poseidon: Ocean Mapping from Space
1992: Satellite TOPEX/Poseidon starts to use Radar Altimetry apparatus to measure sea
surface height
o Maps changing in elevation of sea surface by bouncing radar waves off the ocean
and measuring the return time to the satellite
o Satellite knows its precise altitude and position using ground based lasers and
now GPS
o technology then used to map changes in ocean temperature and ocean currents
over time
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Unit 2: Discovery of the Oceans, Satellites, Sea Floor Video: William Anders Apollo astronaut; first man to orbit the moon Dec 21 1968: Saturn 5 rocket lifts off; meant to go around the moon o Anders snapped dramatic photo of earth rising around the moon Became CEO of general dynamics Hurricane Camille First major storm to be viewed and tracked by satellite (1969 Nimbus3) o Winds over 200mph and 259 people killed Ravaged the gulf states; surges up to 28ft The Mission to Planet Earth multispectral space imagery: can be processed to reveal patterns, rocks types, alteration zones, and valuable minerals o rocks absorb or radiate energy variably across the electromagnetic spectrum; human eyes incapable of seeing without technology Satellite data allows us to map the planet o Mission to Planet Earth funded by NASA in the 1970s, based on missions in the 1960s o Different rocksdeposits come up as different colors on these satellite maps; amounts, weathering, etc all play a part in how the map looks; allows scientists to track all earths changes o We can only see these multispectral images because colors have been assigned by the techniciancreative genius after digital tweeking o Birds, however, can see ultraviolet light; what is the advantage? Why? Maps are data: sometimes multilayered, each data point is information o GIS (Geographic Information Systems): shows the possibilities of merging data (in real time) with maps in a graphic display that is easier to understand and analyze o Google Earth comes out, even more useful and accessible TOPEXPoseidon: Ocean Mapping from Space 1992: Satellite TOPEXPoseidon starts to use Radar Altimetry apparatus to measure sea surface height o Maps changing in elevation of sea surface by bouncing radar waves off the ocean and measuring the return time to the satellite o Satellite knows its precise altitude and position using ground based lasers and now GPS o technology then used to map changes in ocean temperature and ocean currents over time
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit