POL S 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Carl Von Clausewitz, Harold Lasswell, Mixed Government

24 views8 pages

Document Summary

What is politics: definition of politics. Many contending perspectives: definition of science. Scientific method is only capable of proving what is false, not what is true. Definition of politics: plato taught by socrates, socrates starts arguments with people bc he wants to understand the world around him, politics and justice in the republic. Just = are you behaving properly, not our version of just. Might (cid:373)akes (cid:396)ight (cid:448)e(cid:396)sus gi(cid:448)i(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s due. O(cid:373)eti(cid:373)es gi(cid:448)i(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s due (cid:449)ould (cid:374)ot (cid:271)e just. Plato: argues that it is impossible for one to be just in an unjust world. Politics and justice in the republic: might (cid:373)akes (cid:396)ight (cid:448)e(cid:396)sus gi(cid:448)i(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s due. Justice must exist in the system, not at the individual level. Idealistic system of rule by guardians: separation of economic and political power. Man is by nature a political animal: aristotle as the first comparative political scientist. Categorized by number of rulers, quality of rule.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers