SOC 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: When I Walk, Andrew Martinez, Symbolic Interactionism

37 views14 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Week 3 > day 1 of exam #2. I was a student in the department of anthropology. They taught me that nobody was ridiculous or bad or disgusting - kurt vonnegut: writer= uses imagination to write, ref. education w/anthropology class. The term culture is a part of our vocabulary. I went to australia & experienced cultural shock; i had cultural shock when i came back to the us. I"m going to the gaslamp to get culture . In this sense, culture is the means by which humans cultivate the world: what is culture? (p. 41: culture is seen as different from instinct (43) Instinct is reality for animals to survive > distinct. Survival rate indicates: human world? talks about values, norms, symbols, language, imagination & creativity (vision is created, humans rely on culture by which to survive. Usage: marriage & child-bearing, honor/respect the dead, norms make up & accept as way of life (don"t question, varies to each society.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers