7 Pages

Department
Electrical Engineering
Course Code
EE 284
Professor
balaji
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
chapter one 23:23
Carrier-grade means high capacity, the capability to support hundreds of
thousands, perhaps millions, of subscribers and similar numbers of
simultaneous calls.
VoIP is simply the transport of voice traffic using the Internet Protocol (IP),
hardly a surprising definition. However, it is important to note that VoIP does
not automatically imply voice over the Internet.
Here the IP is used because although it is less reliable but its fast as
compared to the tcp. And more reliable than the udp.
In case of voice transmission, every millisecond of data is not necessary.
For the traditional telephony circuit switching is used, but now for voip
IP is an attractive choice for voice transport for several reasons. These
include
Lower equipment cost
Lower operating expense
Integration of voice and data applications
Potentially lower bandwidth requirements
The widespread availability of IP
Circuit-switcCircuit-switched telephone networks transport voice at a rate of
64 Kbps. This is based on the Nyquist Theorem, which states that it is
necessary to sample an analog signal at twice the maximum frequency of
the signal in order to fully capture the signal. Typical human speech has a
maximum fre- quency of somewhat less than 4,000 Hz.
hed telephone networks transport voice at a rate of 64 Kbps. This is based
on the Nyquist Theorem, which states that it is necessary to sample an
analog signal at twice the maximum frequency of the signal in order to fully
capture the signal. Typical human speech has a maximum fre-quency of
somewhat less than 4,000 Hz. So 8000hz is required for capturing it fully.
For each sample 8 levels are used or 8 bits per sample are used which leads
to a bandwidth of 64kbps on both the sides for data transmission.
VoIP is not the only packet-based solution available to a com- mercial
carrier. In fact, Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR) and Voice over Asyn-
chronous Transfer Mode (VoATM) are powerful alternatives. One of the great
disadvantages of such solutions, however, is that they do not have the same
ubiquitous presence as IP .
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
chapter one 23:23 Carrier-grade means high capacity, the capability to support hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of subscribers and similar numbers of simultaneous calls. VoIP is simply the transport of voice traffic using the Internet Protocol (IP), hardly a surprising definition. However, it is important to note that VoIP does not automatically imply voice over the Internet. Here the IP is used because although it is less reliable but its fast as compared to the tcp. And more reliable than the udp. In case of voice transmission, every millisecond of data is not necessary. For the traditional telephony circuit switching is used, but now for voip IP is an attractive choice for voice transport for several reasons. These include Lower equipment cost Lower operating expense Integration of voice and data applications Potentially lower bandwidth requirements The widespread availability of IP Circuit-switcCircuit-switched telephone networks transport voice at a rate of 64 Kbps. This is based on the Nyquist Theorem, which states that it is necessary to sample an analog signal at twice the maximum frequency of the signal in order to fully capture the signal. Typical human speech has a maximum fre- quency of somewhat less than 4,000 Hz. hed telephone networks transport voice at a rate of 64 Kbps. This is based on the Nyquist Theorem, which states that it is necessary to sample an analog signal at twice the maximum frequency of the signal in order to fully capture the signal. Typical human speech has a maximum fre-quency of somewhat less than 4,000 Hz. So 8000hz is required for capturing it fully. For each sample 8 levels are used or 8 bits per sample are used which leads to a bandwidth of 64kbps on both the sides for data transmission. VoIP is not the only packet-based solution available to a com- mercial carrier. In fact, Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR) and Voice over Asyn- chronous Transfer Mode (VoATM) are powerful alternatives. One of the great disadvantages of such solutions, however, is that they do not have the same ubiquitous presence as IP . my notes 23:23 the lower the bandwidth, the lower the quality. my notes 23:23 Voice quality : Similar to the MOS value there exists a PSQM(Perceptual speech quality measurement) this is an algorithm that attempts to faithfully represent human judgement and perception processes. The result of PSQM testing is a PSQM score that can be converted to an MOS value. PSQM testing involves the algorithmic comparison between the output signal of a communications system (such as a voice coder/decoder) and a known input signal. The testing includes an algorithm that determines the combined perceptual effects of a number of variables, such as the type of speaker (male, female, or child), the loudness of the input signal, the delay, the percentage of active/silent speech frames, clipping, and environmental noise. Tests are conducted with a variety of different speech samples that may have been produced artificially or by real speakers. If produced artificially, then the speech samples should be generated according to ITU-T Recommendation P.50. According to the Nyquist theorem we can get back a signal only if we sample it at a rate twice its maximum frequency. After the sampling the samples has to be represented by some number of bits. The number of bits are limited, e.g if we use 3 bits then 2^3 8 levels are possible and if we need to represent 5.3 then we can only represent that by 5. So there occurs this quantization error because now the 5.3 signal can never be reproduced. So overcome this error we can use more number of bits but that leads to the more utilization of bandwidth. So there are certain methods by which the uneven quantization can be done and the signals can be represented in a better way. In this case the loud talkers sound bet
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit