PSY 348 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Avoidance Coping, Cognitive Restructuring, Emotional Reasoning

55 views4 pages
22 Mar 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Coping: managing the internal and external demands of stressful situations using thoughts and behaviors. Dependent on resources (more resources = less stressful) The coping process: stressful event, its stage, and anticipated future course, appraisal and interpretation of the stressor, coping responses and strategies, coping outcomes. External resources or impediments: tangible resources (e. g. , money, social support, major life events and daily hassles. Internal resources or impediments: usual coping style(s, other personality factors that influence selection of coping responses and strategies. E. g. , it brought me closer to my family : accommodation: process of changing the larger organizing schema/situation to fit the smaller one. E. g. , the world is more dangerous than i thought . Coping is most effective when there is a good fit between the coping strategy and the amount of control you have/can exert over the stressor. Approaching the stressor/situation: planning, turning to religion, seeking social support for instrumental reasons, seeking social support for emotional reasons.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers