Premium

4 Pages

Department
Information Studies
Course Code
IST 352
Professor
Corsello

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
IST 352 | Chapter 10 | October 25, 2016
Designing Forms and Reports
Form: a business document that contains some predefined data and may include some
areas where additional data are to be filled in
An instance of a form is typically based on one database record.
Report: a business document that contains only predefined data
It is a passive document used solely for reading or viewing data.
A report typically contains data from many unrelated records or transactions.
Common Types of Reports:
Scheduled: produced at predefined time intervals for routine information needs
Key-indicator: provides summary of critical information on regular basis
Exception: highlights data outside of normal operating ranges
Drill-down: provides details behind summary of key-indicator or exception reports
Ad-hoc: responds to unplanned requests for non-routine information needs
The Process of Designing Forms and Reports
Is a user-focused activity.
Follows a prototyping approach.
First steps are to gain an understanding of the intended user and task objectives by collecting
initial requirements during requirements determination.
Requirements determination:
Who will use the form or report?
What is the purpose of the form or report?
When is the report needed or used?
Where does the form or report need to be delivered and used?
How many people need to use or view the form or report?
Prototyping
Initial prototype is designed from requirements.
Users review prototype design and either accept the design or request changes.
If changes are requested, the construction-evaluation-refinement cycle is repeated until the design
is accepted.
A coding sheet is an “old” tool for designing forms and reports, usually associated with
text-based forms and reports for mainframe applications.
Visual Basic and other development tools provide computer-aided GUI form and report
generation.
Deliverables and Outcomes
Design specifications are the major deliverables and inputs to the system implementation
phase.
Design specifications have three sections:
Narrative overview: characterizes users, tasks, system, and environmental factors
Sample design: image of the form (from coding sheet or form building development
tool)
Testing and usability assessment: measuring test/usability results (consistency,
sufficiency, accuracy, etc.)
Formatting Forms and Reports
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com IST 352 | Chapter 10 | October 25, 2016 Designing Forms and Reports  Form: a business document that contains some predefined data and may include some areas where additional data are to be filled in An instance of a form is typically based on one database record.  Report: a business document that contains only predefined data It is a passive document used solely for reading or viewing data.  A report typically contains data from many unrelated records or transactions.  Common Types of Reports: Scheduled: produced at predefined time intervals for routine information needs Key-indicator: provides summary of critical information on regular basis Exception: highlights data outside of normal operating ranges Drill-down: provides details behind summary of key-indicator or exception reports Ad-hoc: responds to unplanned requests for non-routine information needs The Process of Designing Forms and Reports  Is a user-focused activity.  Follows a prototyping approach. First steps are to gain an understanding of the intended user and task objectives by collecting initial requirements during requirements determination.  Requirements determination: Who will use the form or report? What is the purpose of the form or report? When is the report needed or used? Where does the form or report need to be delivered and used? How many people need to use or view the form or report?  Prototyping Initial prototype is designed from requirements. Users review prototype design and either accept the design or request changes. If changes are requested, the construction-evaluation-refinement cycle is repeated until the design is accepted.  A coding sheet is an “old” tool for designing forms and reports, usually associated with text-based forms and reports for mainframe applications.  Visual Basic and other development tools provide computer-aided GUI form and report generation. Deliverables and Outcomes  Design specifications are the major deliverables and inputs to the system implementation phase.  Design specifications have three sections:  Narrative overview: characterizes users, tasks, system, and environmental factors  Sample design: image of the form (from coding sheet or form building development tool)  Testing and usability assessment: measuring test/usability results (consistency, sufficiency, accuracy, etc.) Formatting Forms and Reports find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com  Meaningful titles — use clear, specific, version information, and current date  Meaningful information — include only necessary information, with no need to modify  Balanced layout — use adequate spacing, margins, and clear labels  Easy navigation system — show how to move forward and backward, and where you are currently Highlighting information  Notify users of errors in data entry or processing.  Provide warnings regarding possible problems.  Draw attention to keywords, commands, high-priority messages, unusual data values. Color vs. No Color  Benefits — Color: Soothes or strikes the eye. Accents an uninteresting display. Facilitates subtle discriminations in complex displays. Emphasizes the logical organization of information. Draws attention to warnings. Evokes more emotional reactions.  Problems from Using Color Color pairings may wash out or cause problems for some users. Resolution may degrade with different displays. Color fidelity may degrade on different displays. Printing or conversion to other media may not easily translate. Displaying Text  Case: display in mixed upper and lower case, use conventional punctuation  Spacing: use double spacing if possible, otherwise blank lines between paragraphs  Justification: left justify text, ragged right margins  Hyp
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit