February 18 Lecture Notes
The Experience Machine Argument
1. If Simple Hedonism is true, then the experience machine life is fantastically good.
2. The experience machine life is not fantastically good.
3. Therefore simple hedonism is not true.
• Support for premise two: there is not personal development, no achievements, would
not have contact with real people
• In modus tollens format
• Must object to premise two, to defend simple hedonism:
o Just because someone wouldn’t choose to plug in, that doesn’t mean that
Simple Hedonism is false
o The experience machine might not be good for other people, but for the