PSY 446 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: List Of Memory Biases, Psy, Health Literacy

37 views2 pages

Document Summary

O(cid:374)e (cid:449)a(cid:455) of defi(cid:374)i(cid:374)g it (cid:862)the e(cid:454)te(cid:374)t to (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h a perso(cid:374)"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior (cid:272)oi(cid:374)(cid:272)ides (cid:449)ith (cid:373)edi(cid:272)al of health ad(cid:448)i(cid:272)e(cid:863: e. g. taking medication as prescribed; doing prescribed exercises; going to medical appointments (i. e. yearly physical, dental) To see improvement in health, preventative maintenance, make sure treatment is effective, significantly decreased health care costs if society as a whole does more preventative maintenance. Use cut scores for determining participants who are adhering to their regimen: e. g. , take medication in the way you have been prescribed it, problems: arbitrary numbers as cut-offs. Self-reports (verbal), symptom inventory (written), drug testing, asking the guardian if necessary. Often used because they can be easily and inexpensive to obtain. Problems: lying, lack of recall, memory bias, Most research studies find self-reports over-estimates adherence. Compares medicine left in the container to medicine that would be left if the person took all that was prescribed. Problems: people can throw out pills/lie, inaccuracies in counting.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers