POLS 207 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Public Administration, Spoils System, Legislature Iii Of Italy

23 views2 pages

Document Summary

The bureaucracy: what is it a. i) why should we care? a. ii) defined. (a. ii. 1. a) Bureaucracy = public agencies and the programs and services they implement and manage. Part of the executive branch; overseen by legislature (a. ii. 1. b) How is public bureaucracy different from private bureaucracy? a. iii) a. iv: bureaucratic politics a. i) public administration is political (a. i. 1) Determines who gets what a. ii) bureaucratic function #1: policy implementer (a. ii. 1. a) Implementation = take the express wishes of government and translate them into action a. iii) Vagueness gives street-level bureaucrats discretion get to choose which rules to enforce. Rulemaking = translating laws into written instructions for public agencies (a. iii. 1. c) Giving material benefits to those who provided support. Because of this system, those who are appointed by the spoils system don"t care much about the people they are serving. a. i. 1. b. i. 1. a. i. 1. b. i. 2. More about rewarding friends, family, neighbors, rather than serving the community. a. i. 1. b. i. 3. Led to the growth of political machines a. ii) the merit system (a. ii. 1. a)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers