ANTH 20633 Lecture 1: Arch Unit 2

5 Pages

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANTH 20633
Professor
David Aftandilian

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com 0/19/2016 Animal Remains – zooarchaeology How do we know humans brought animals to the site? - Cut marks vs tooth marks on animal bones. - If animals appear when humans settled there - If specific bones are selected, omitted, or collected. - Burning of bone Other uses for animal remains besides food - Bones for building - Clothing from shins/hides - Tools from bones - Rituals - Currency (shells) Quantify Animal Remains - Meat weight (kind, sex, time of year) - NISP (Number of Identified Specimen): number of identified bones of each species as percentage of the total number of identified bones at a site. o Problems: Some animals have more bones than others Counts fragments of bones (a bone cut in half is two) Does not account for meat weight - MNI (Minimum number of individuals): the least number of individuals who could have accounted for the animal bones present of a site. What do zoo archeologists want to know? Sex: Sexual dimorphism - Features that identify a sex (like antlers) - Shape and size - Penis bone Age: - Size: some grow continually throughout life - Epiphyseal fusion in long bones (attachments at the end) - More arthritis at joints (also connected to labor) - Tooth wear find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com Tortoise Slaughter Pattern - Older at death in older samples o Increase in predation - Climate How to tell if animals were domestic? - Tools - Smaller size (soon after domestication) - Context: do they appear when people settle there - Early arthritis/ deformities 09/21/2016 Bioarcheology = study of human remains from archaeological sites - Mortuary archeology = study of how people treated their dead in the past. (inhuman vs cremation, what artifacts were buried with them. Taphonomy is more of how the entire site got buried. What can we learn about individuals from bones? - Age of death - Occupation - Sex - Cause of death Bio archaeological Analysis 1) Human vs nonhuman 2) How many people 3) Sex 4) Age Partition Scars - Much more common in women than in men - Have some statistical relationship with childbirth (meaning, mothers have them more often) - Women who have not given birth may also have them. find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com 09/26/2016 4) Age Sub adult vs Adult (You can get almost 2 years close to a sub adult, but adults are harder and classified as young middle or old) - Fusion in long bones - Lengt
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit