KINS 1223 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Dipeptide, Glycogen, Proteoglycan

124 views3 pages

Document Summary

Word root sacchar- or suffix -ose often used a. i. 1. All digested carbohydrates converted to glucose and oxidized to make. Conjugated carbohydrate = bound to lipid or protein a. i. 1. a. Classified by size, complexity, and water solubility a. i. 1. Must be digested to simple sugars to be absorbed. Protein in cell controls its appearance and function a. i. 1. Huge number of possible combinations a. i. 1. a. i. 2. a. i. 3. a. ii. a. ii. a. iii. a. iv. a. i. 1. a. Dehydration synthesis creates a peptide bond that joins amino acids b. Fatty acids differ by number and arrangement of carbon and hydrogen a. i. 1. c. a. i. 1. d. Saturated = carbon atoms with maximum number of hydrogen. Unsaturated = double bonded carbon atoms that could form a bond with an additional hydrogen. Triglycerides a. 3 fatty acids bonded to glycerol molecule (dehydration synthesis) b. Function = energy storage, insulation and shock absorption. Phospholipids a. phosphorus group gives phospholipids distinct chemical properties b. a. i. a. i. a. i. b. b. b. In water - phospholipids orient into lipid bilayer.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers