BIOL 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Cytokinesis, Spindle Apparatus, Kinetochore

41 views3 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 11: sexual life cycles have both haploid and diploid stages. Sexual reproduction is the alternation of meiosis and fertilization. *meiosis produces haploid cells (gametes) with half the number of chromosomes, fertilization then fuses these gametes to produce a diploid zygote: features of meiosis, synapsis: during early prophase i, homologous chromosomes find each other and become closely associated. Crossing over takes place during synapsis and it happens between non- sister chromatids: they synaptonemal complex: joining of the paired homologue. Result: two sister chromatids closely associated during this phase of meiosis. This structure is also called tetrad or bivalent: the exchange of genetic material between homologue: Recombination or crossing over: the exchange of corresponding chromatid segments between homologous chromosomes; responsible for genetic recombination. These sites are maintained until anaphase i: process of meiosis: Prophase i: the chromosomes condense, and the spindle of microtubules begin to form.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers