KNES 280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Lake Winnipesaukee, University Of California, Berkeley, Equal Pay For Equal Work

46 views3 pages
22 Aug 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

More involvement by administrators in budgeting, finding revenues, and controlling expense. No rules = mayhem, so practices and contests run by athletes. 1st women"s event : cal berkeley/ stanford basketball, 1896. Formed in 1906, called the intercollegiate athletic association of the united states (iaaus) Originally responsible for developing rules and has moved on to enforcing academic standards, monitoring recruiting, and establishing principles of governing amateurism. Move from a pe dept. to a funded athletic department. Division i divided into subdivisions 5 years later. Administrators: college/university presidents, ads, and and ncaa staff members. Organizational structure: president commission, executive committee, administrative council, steering committee, and functional committees. 35 conferences at d1 level and 3 independent. Some reasons for institutions to join a conference: Each conference has a different legislation and philosophy. Division i, i-aa, i-aaa (326 members + 1 provisional member) Must sponsor at least 14 sports (7 men/7 women or 6/8)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers