PSY-0013 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Social Comparison Theory, Name–Letter Effect, Facial Expression

51 views5 pages
23 Dec 2015
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 3: the self: self-esteem, self esteem (affective) how do we feel about ourselves, self-esteem: the combination of a person"s positive and negative self- evaluations i. ii. If you have a positive self-image, you tend to be happy, healthy, optimistic, productive, and successful. Upward social comparison: when the comparison group is much better than you are, you feel worse about yourself. Affi liate with others in same predicament who are adjusting well [potential role models] Compare ourselves with people who are worse off ii: self-serving cognitions: biased attributions for own behavior, people tend to take credit for success and distance themselves from failure i. Internal [dispositional] attributions for positive behaviors: ex: did well on a test, say it is because you are smart. Ingratiation (sucking up): desire to get along" with others and be liked: paying compliments, emphasizing common interests, smiling, nodding, deference. Self-promotion: desire to get ahead" and gain respect for one"s competence i. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers