BSC 116 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Non-Vascular Plant, Protonema, Vascular Tissue

28 views8 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 8 and, plant diversity i and ii. A few trends are evident: get bigger with the evolution of vascular tissue, growth of the sporophyte phase ***** (trees, shrinkage of the gametophyte phase, live in a wider range of habitats with the evolution of seeds. Plants are important to the ecosystem in general. Derived character for group: shared endosymbiotic event that created the chloroplast for the group *** Multicellular, photosynthetic autotrophs (about 290,000 spp: cells walls of cellulose, chloroplasts with chlorophylls a and b, these traits found among protists as well. Viridiplantae ( green plants : chlorophytes + streptophytes (charophytes + embryophytes) Uv light, herbivores, pathogens, etc: designed to kill things that eat them, chemical warfare helps them stay away from predation. 5 key events in the history of green plant evolution: Key events: multicellularity, 470 my, invasion of land, 425 my, evolution of vascular tissue, 360 my, appearance of seed plants, 140my, evolution of flowers.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers