BIO 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Parental Investment, Fokker E.Ii, Handicap Principle

41 views6 pages

Document Summary

Evolution is a population genetics process governed by several fundamental forces: see lecture 7. The finches from the grants on daphne island b. ii. Population cut from 1400 to under in 200 in just a few years as a result of the extreme drought b. ii. 1. However, even the grants admit that it was a small population size b. iii. 2. a. It is often hard to distinguish between natural selection and genetic drift without sufficient data b. iv. 1. Adaptation allows an organism to either survive or reproduce better: adaptation is the whole point of natural selection. Factors required for natural selection to operate: there must be variation in a population a. i. There must be different phenotypes in the population: variation must lead to difference among individuals in lifetime reproductive success b. i. Many traits will vary, but only some traits will be adaptively beneficial b. ii. Either from increased reproduction or increased survival: variation must be transmitted to the next generation c. i.