CHE 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Fokker E.Ii, Scientific Notation, Significant Figures

50 views3 pages

Document Summary

Chemistry: the study of matter: definitions, significant figures, dimensional analysis, classification of matter. Matter and measurement: definitions, history and other b. s, what is chemistry, synthesis of new materials a. i. Electronic materials: control changes of matter b. i. Pollution removal: find ways to remove pollution b. ii. Energy: ways to convert sunlight into usable energy c. Hg levels: (mercury) how to control them c. ii. ph of natural waters: (smaller lakes are acidic) sulfuric acid, how to measure and control it c. iii. Physiologically active compounds: taking herbs and mass producing them. Chemistry is the study of matter: historical perspectives, crafts a. i. Two aspects of chemistry: practical (chapters 3,4,5,10: philosophy- nature of matter b. i. New theory c. v. (start from the beginning and repeat: significant figures- uncertainty in measurement. Zeros between non zero digits are significant c. v. 1. b. i. Zeros to the left of 1st nonzero digit are not significant c. v. 1. c. i. Zeros at the end of a number to the right of a decimal are significant c. v. 1. d. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers