Ellicott developed new land that would later be New Amsterdam (Niagara Street,
Elmwood, Delaware Ave, Niagara square (where they meet), and Main Street).
• All of these names (or was it some?????) were originally Dutch names-
reflective of Amsterdam
• It was a developed plan that lasted 100 years before it was altered
This work didn't last, because the British Canadians burnt buffalo to the ground----->
settlers moved in and changed the name to buffalo.
1. names were changed
2. vagsoghough and vohogan (not spelled correctly) became _____ and Erie
3. this upset Ellicott
Ellicott recognized transportation potential
1810- Erie canal commission- connecting east cost to the lakes of Lake Erie. Ellicott
was hired to create a route
• He chose an inland route. It was used because of the natural materials
available for construction in abundance- limestone and timber. Also Lake Erie
is quite violent. The waves are really bad during storms because of the
shallowness of the lake.
• He wanted the terminus to be in Black Rock, Buffalonians wanted it in
o It got placed in buffalo bc of politics
o John Wilkensen, and some others had a lot of land and were
expecting it to be placed their
o they t