Premium

3 Pages

Department
Linguistics
Course Code
LIN 207
Professor
Abigael Candelas

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Youth styles and CMC • How do people use language to express their identity, relate to others, and construct community membership? • Influence of technology on communication • “Text messages are full of abbreviations” • “Txtspeak abbreviations are new” • “Txtspeak is attributable to young people not knowing how to spell, or having poor literacy” • “Millennials use internetese all the time and don’t know how to behave in school or professional environments” Example: John Humphreys (writing about the OED’s decision to remove hyphens from certain words) “It is the relentless onward march of the texters, the SMS (Short Message Service) vandals who are doing to our language what Genghis Khan did to his neighours eight hundred years ago” Example: anonymous academic in The Guardian “My students often send emojis. To me that simply says the writer is unable to express him or herself adequately in the English language and needs a pictogram to explain what they mean. I also despise the use of hashtags in emails, ironically or otherwise, and I see far too many LOLs, LMFAOs and OMGs. There is a worrying lack of understanding underlying all of this. This generation uses a single voice for all communication – shouting non-stop into the abyss of the internet, expecting a response. When they start applying for jobs, or using email in work environments, they’ll be at a huge disadvantage” Youth styles: mythbusting (Crystal 2008) • “text messages are full of abbreviations” – ~10% of words used in text messages are abbreviated, eg u, lol, btw, wtf, etc – Txtspeak is not specific to young people – most texts are sent by adults • “Txtspeak abbreviations are new” – Rebuses and other language games and abbreviation conventions are centuries old • “Textspeak is attributable to young people not knowing how to spell, or having poor literacy” – In order to leave a letter out, you have to know it belonged in the first place! – Texting correlates with higher literacy -- the more writing practice you get, the better at it you are – Textspeak is creative and shows language change • “Millennials use internetese all the time and don’t know how to behave in school or professional environments” – Young people use textspeak because it’s cool (or more efficient) – this shows awareness of different communicative contexts. • “text messages are full of abbreviations” – ~10% of words used in text messages are abbreviated, eg u, lol, btw, wtf, etc – Txtspeak is not specific to young people – most texts are sent by adults • “Millennials use internetese all the time and don’t know how to behave in school or
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit