United States (313,610)
Economics (266)
ECON 305 (10)
Dr.Neri (9)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Maryland
ECON 305

Macro 1/28/14 9 problem sets, 9 quizzes, drop 3 Bookmark course webpage! Start of class… In the long-run, capacity to produce goods and services (productive capacity) determines the standard of living (GDP/person) (chpt 3,4,5) GDP in the long-run depends on factors of production, amount of Labor (L) and capital (K) and technology used to turn K and L into output. (physical capital- plant/equipment). Can use this with growth rates of GDP as well. Public policy can increase GDP in the long-run only by improving productive capacity of the economy. - Increase national saving leads to larger capital stock - Increase efficiency of labor (education and increase technological progress) In the short-run, aggregate (total) demand influences the amount of goods and services that a country produces (chpt 9,10,13) -monetary and fiscal policy -shocks to the system (business gets scared of spending, less I) GDP= Consumer Spending (C) + Investments (I) +Government Spending (G) + Net Exports (NX) NX= Exports (EX)- Imports (IM) Graph, GDP vs Time (horizontal axis). Straight line F(L,K, Tech) {long run}. In the short run, economy tends to fluctuate b/c of shocks. In the long-run, the rate of money growth determines the rate of inflation, but it doesn’t affect the rate of unemployment. M=money supply. Pi= inflation= % change in price level (P)= {P(t)- P(t-1)} / P(t-1). Chapter 4 High inflation raises the nominal interest rate (real interest isn’t affected) i= nominal interest rate. i= r + pi- the fisher equation r= real interest rate want to come out 2% ahead, there
More Less

Related notes for ECON 305

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.