GEOG 130 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Asian Development Bank, China Investment Corporation, Canon Inc.

67 views4 pages
- Cost of Globalization
o Five major South African companies transferred their primary stock listing from
Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) to London.
It affeted the atioal pestige ad J“E’s aitios as a ajo gloal
equity market.
- With “outh Afia sellig fou ties as uh as it uys fo the, thee is a peeptio
that trade is a one-ay steet.
- African consumers welcome the improved service and choice of goods, by African
retailers and manufacturers want competition.
- Top Afia opaies ade Johaesug the otiet’s fiaial apital.
- Advance telecommunication, extensive airline connection, and stable government give
the city an advantage over alternative locations.
- The South African government is promoting a number of projects such as building roads,
rail networks, port, and power plants needed to convert buried minerals into cash
generating industries.
o Ex. A proposal in Congo calls for phosphate and base metal mining to support
construction of new electricity grids, ports, and roads linking area countries.
- Vietnam an Emerging Power
- Positive
- Vieta’s eooi goth—seod oly to Chia’s i Asia,
o The economy grew 8.4% last year, and the Asian Development Bank is
forecasting growth of 7.8% this year.
- Foreign National Corporation: Intel Corp. upgraded its initial plan for a $300 million
plant to invest $1 billion chip-assembly-and test-facility.
o The company investment is par with Santa Clara, California, and other companies
investment in China, Malaysia and Phillipines.
- Vietnam is becoming an alternative for Asian manufacturing base to countries such as
China or Thailand.
- Vietnam joined the WTO in 2007, leaders expect exports to rise by 25%.
- Vietnam is given incentives to foreign companies including tax breaks a potent
attraction for electronic goods, which work on increasingly tight margins.
- It also take oly a hou o to to eah ay Asia’s ajo idustial hus.
- Vietnam sizable population makes it attractive market with 84 million people.
- Vietnam has the fastest growing market in the world for U.S. made product.
- Major investment has included from Samsung Electronic Co. and Canon Inc. and
international banks such as HSBC holding and Standard Chartered have bought stakes in
Vietnamese banks.
- Vietaese stok aket is Asia’s est pefoig aket so fa this yea, up 75%.
- Infrastructure: Ho Chi Minh City is planning to build monorail and underground rail
systems for the city to get the scooters off the streets and ease traffic congestion.
- Even if these two investments are forthcoming, the projects may not be completed until
2009 and 2013.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Cost of globalization: five major south african companies transferred their primary stock listing from. It affe(cid:272)ted the (cid:374)atio(cid:374)al p(cid:396)estige a(cid:374)d j e"s a(cid:373)(cid:271)itio(cid:374)s as a (cid:373)ajo(cid:396) glo(cid:271)al equity market. With outh af(cid:396)i(cid:272)a selli(cid:374)g fou(cid:396) ti(cid:373)es as (cid:373)u(cid:272)h as it (cid:271)uys f(cid:396)o(cid:373) the(cid:373), the(cid:396)e is a (cid:862)pe(cid:396)(cid:272)eptio(cid:374) that trade is a one-(cid:449)ay st(cid:396)eet. (cid:863) African consumers welcome the improved service and choice of goods, by african retailers and manufacturers want competition. Top af(cid:396)i(cid:272)a(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:374)ies (cid:373)ade joha(cid:374)(cid:374)es(cid:271)u(cid:396)g the (cid:272)o(cid:374)ti(cid:374)e(cid:374)t"s fi(cid:374)a(cid:374)(cid:272)ial (cid:272)apital. Advance telecommunication, extensive airline connection, and stable government give the city an advantage over alternative locations. The south african government is promoting a number of projects such as building roads, rail networks, port, and power plants needed to convert buried minerals into cash generating industries: ex. A proposal in congo calls for phosphate and base metal mining to support construction of new electricity grids, ports, and roads linking area countries.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers