SOCY 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Social Class, Conspicuous Consumption, Infant Mortality

50 views6 pages

Document Summary

Social stratification: hierarchal differences associated with social status, political power, and economic positions, social process, significant effect on how valuable resources are allocated within society (monetary/nonmonetary resources) Inequality: the societal position that yield the greatest benefits in terms of status, power, and money to some and not others. Economic position within the stratification system based on income. O(cid:272)ial (cid:272)lass stro(cid:374)gly deter(cid:373)i(cid:374)es/refle(cid:272)ts o(cid:374)e"s i(cid:374)(cid:272)o(cid:373)e and wealth. Upper, middle, and lower class (ceo, nurse, The prestige atta(cid:272)hed to o(cid:374)e"s positio(cid:374) i(cid:374) so(cid:272)iety. Teacher = high prestige, lower pay: power. Ability to get others to do what you want them to do. Lots of power = top, minimal power = bottom. Greater income = more power (in a money base, capitalist system) Breadwinners: from 1970 to 2013 husbands have dominated the breadwinner status, but an increase from 4% to 40% for wives. Total a(cid:373)ou(cid:374)t of a perso(cid:374)"s fi(cid:374)a(cid:374)(cid:272)ial assets, less total liabilities: income.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers