J 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Comma Splice, Style Guide, Adverb
61 views2 pages
J101 – Lecture #7 – Adjectives and Adverbs
• Adjective: descriptive word/phrase that modifies or describes a noun
▪ Grammar is my favorite subject.
▪ Elyssa is a champion winner.
▪ Steven ate an entire pizza.
• Adverb: modifies verbs, adjectives, or adverbs
o Example of Adverbs modifying verbs:
▪ Emma ran. She entered the room.
▪ Emma ran swiftly. She slowly entered the room.
Verb adverb adverb verb
o Example of Adverbs modifying adjectives:
▪ Marly took a test.
▪ Marly took a difficult test.
▪ Marly took an extremely difficult test.
o Example of Adverbs modifying adverbs (very rare):
▪ The sculpture was displayed.
▪ The sculpture was cleverly displayed.
▪ The sculpture was very cleverly displayed.
Adverb adverb verb