COMM 4643 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Procrastination, Mass Communication, Social Control

99 views3 pages

Document Summary

Hypothesizes that as people increase media use, they will decrease some other activity in their lives: neither good nor bad on the surface, negative effects depend on what activity they decrease. Time and priority displacement has been linked to a number of negative social and health problems: obesity. Screen time normally means sedentary time: hyper-tension. Less working out = higher blood pressure: depression. Less face-face time and less relationships; effects on low self esteem: solitude, procrastination. Phenomenon that occurs when peole feel as though they personally know mediated personas. Creates a sense of closeness & identification. Occurs through repeated exposure to mediated personas. Why producers like it: keeps you coming back. The show/movie/etc. showed me what the person is like. The person made me feel comfortable, as if i were with a friend. The person seemed to understand the kinds of things i want to know. I would tell me friends about this person.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers