BCS 110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Lamellar Corpuscle, Bulbous Corpuscle, Receptive Field

47 views3 pages

Document Summary

Exteroceptive external stimuli : touch, pain, temperature. Skin can be vibrated, pressed, pricked and stroked. Cutaneous receptors including meissner"s corpuscles, merkel"s disks, ruffini endings, Mechanoreceptors vary in receptive fields size, preferred stimulus frequencies, and pressures. Stereognosis : identification of objects by touch. Merkel - touch, fine spatial detail (top) Receptive field sizes - how far away from the receptor can you be in order to activate. Only sensitive to light touch: small receptive fields (right on top of them) Two superficial and two in the deep: how synaptic system works. Some are quick responders and some are much more slower. Faster response - meissner"s corpuscle ((cid:824)what just touched me? (cid:825)) Continue to touch- meissner stops responding and merkel starts responding. Merkel cells: slow (i"m still being touched; they"re still touching me) Stimuli applied to the skin deform, bend or stretch the membrane of the receptor, and this in turn changes its permeability to ions.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers