NPB 168 Lecture 3: NPB168 Lecture 3

4 Pages

Department
Neurobiology,Physio & Behavior
Course Code
NPB 168
Professor
Liets Lauren

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
NPB168 Lecture 3  5 liters of blood circulated fully in minute  Primary route of elimination is urine o Some alcohol removed in breath (why breathalyzer works)  Millions of nephron in kidney, nephron is functional unit of kidney  Whatever ends in peritubular capillary stays in the body, whatever ends in kidney tubule leaves the body.  Tubular reabsorption and tubular secretion are tightly controlled.  Metabolism BYP1-3  Metabolic Induction – drug administration leads to an increase in the activity or availability of its own hepatic enzymes  Metabolic inhibition – drug administration leads to a decrease in the activity or availability of hits own hepatic enzymes o Consequence: the pharmacological effects are increased o Enzyme system can set itself back to normal  First Pass metabolism o Drugs must tolerate the acidic environment of the GI tract o Drugs must first cross cells lining the GI tract where they may come across metabolic enzymes o Next drugs pass through the liver – the primary metabolic site o Drugs moved into the systemic blood undergo depot binding  Repeated Administrations: Tolerance and Sensitization o Tolerance  A state of progressively decreasing responsiveness to subsequent administrations of the same dose of a drug  A need to increase the dose of a drug with subsequent administrations in order to yield the same magnitude of effect o Sensitization  A state of progressively increasing responsiveness to subsequent administrations of the same dose of a drug  A need to decrease the dose of a drug with subsequent administrations in order to yield the same magnitude of effect  Mechanisms of tolerance o Physical  Metabolic (Drug disposition) tolerance  Metabolic induction – reving up enzymes and breakdown  Cross-tolerance: 2 drugs utilizing the same enzymatic pathway  Pharmacodynamic tolerance  A decreased effect based upon change in the function of the receptor bound by the drug  Psychological  Your psychological state can affect your response to drugs o Set and Setting (your expectations and environment) o Such as being in an interview, drinking wine you will notice no difference since you are already revved up due to stress  Drug Dependence o Definition  Appearance of unpleasant symptoms upon removal of a drug following repeated administrations
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit